Friday, September 9, 2011

Happy September!


Happy September! Or as the Greeks say, “Kalo Mina!” (Which basically translates to “Good Month!”) So, it’s been a while. I know, I know, you can scold me later. In my defense though, I kept quite busy throughout the summer… and the miniscule down time I had was spent either catching up on some much needed ZzZs, spending time with friends and family, or basking in some summer events. In general, even though I complain about never having a legitimate vacation, I always get a huge high off keeping busy and therefore constantly do so. Oh! I also celebrated my 24th year of living, passed my first year of law school, became a sushi-lover and fan of seaweed salad, attended my first wine tasting experience, and had a good time mini-golfing. (Just don’t ask for my score.) All in all, good things. A productive yet gratifying summer!

I think that a question that every 1L asks themselves as they are reading hundreds of cases and spending countless hours studying and attending classes….is whether any of this will ever be applicable in the real world. I’ve heard from countless lawyers exclaiming that most of what they do at their jobs wasn’t covered in law school, and even if it was, their boss wants it done a different way. I’ve also heard from others how certain classes just aren’t applicable in their type of law, so even if you’re a chapter or two behind in Constitutional Law, does it reallllllyyyyyyy matter? ;-) Certainly this was a question that was always in the back of my mind…until I actually had a chance to practice what I learned. Over the summer, I had a chance to file a couple civil law suits against defendants among different states, namely CT and NY. While my boss guided me through the process substantially, I have to admit that I found a new appreciation towards my Civil Procedure class which helped with jurisdictional issues, venue questions, and different processes that had to be dealt with. Cheers, law school!

The start of my new semester began in August, and oh boy did it start! Law school students usually say that second year is easier than the first year law school madness. While I don’t think it’s specifically easier, I have to admit that it really is much more enjoyable; this is probably due to the fact that I actually had a choice in what classes I signed up for, instead of having the generic first year classes of Torts, Contracts, Property, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, and Civil Procedure. As far as the classes that I’m taking this semester, most are for Business Law….and one class even includes a heavy dosage of math problems! *Note: I came to law school to never see math again…yet it is following me everywhere I go! Yes, your elementary math school teacher was right when she said that you will always need math in your life. Thank goodness for my special math tutor that doesn't mind spending a Friday night guiding me through equations. :)

So, as the leaves turn into beautiful shades of yellow, red, and orange, you can bet your pretty penny that you will find me weekend after weekend at a library in the Boston area, taking the occasional chai latte break to reward myself for all my hard work, yet longing for home. This is the quintessential law school student's dilemma...wanting to go home, yet being fully aware of the sad reality that your studies just don't allow that. Anyways, if you’re in the area, come by and say hello! You might just get lucky and catch me on my down time. Have a great September, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. You are going to do great this semester!!! :)
    Enjoy your 2nd year

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have hit the nail on the head that law school teaches you squat about being a lawyer.

    ReplyDelete